May 9, 2016
On Episode 53 of the Joy Sandwich podcast, Jessica and Non say hello to the delightful author and illustrator, Ashlyn Anstee! Ashlyn is the author of two children's books, Are We There, Yeti? and, most recently, the punny and warmhearted No, No, Gnome!
We were so happy to speak with Ashlyn about her story growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia, moving to Toronto, Ontario where she got a degree in Classical Animation, and then moving to Los Angeles and finding a job in animation.
She also talks to us about growing up with a creative teacher/librarian for a mom, having loads of books around to read, and the first moment she realized one could actually make a book! We also talk about the amazing community of children's book authors and illustrators, finding a publisher (Simon & Schuster), coming up with ideas for books, balancing illustration and writing, some of our favorite children's books, and more!
Tots, Tweens & Teens Book Festival (May 14, 2016)
Ashlyn Anstee will be attending the Tots, Tweens & Teens Book Festival on May 14 from 12-6pm at Pasadena High School! It's a free event and there will be books for sale through Once Upon a Time bookstore. Show up at 12pm and see Emily Arrow play the No, No, Gnome! song live!
Go see Ashlyn in person at the event! Oh, and we'll be there too!
Episode Show Notes
1. Recent Joys:
- Ashlyn talks about the joy of putting her bookshelf together to display and curate beautiful children's books! Also, she found joy in Jon Favreau's adaptation of The Jungle Book.
- Non's joy is a new job! Hooray! He's very excited and thankful for the opportunity and loves not having to wear pants!
- Jessica finds joy in a recent trip up to the Theater at the Ace Hotel to see James Cameron's Aliens on the big screen. We also came away with some pretty sweet Ellen Ripley shirts from Mondo!
2. Links to Stuff We Discussed:
- Emily Arrow sings No, No, Gnome (you'll hear a clip of this song at the beginning of the show, and the full song at the end!)
- Zigger Beans by Diane Redfield Massie
- Really Rosie by Carole King
3. Social Media &
Thanks so much to Ashlyn for joining us on today's episode of Joy Sandwich!